- Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the U.S. and accounts for nearly 1 of every 4 deaths. *1
- In the U.S., men have nearly a 50% lifetime risk of developing cancer; for women the risk is a little more than 33%. *1
- Being diagnosed with cancer can arise at any age; however, about 78% of all cancers are diagnosed in persons 55 and older. *1
- The 5 year relative survival rate for all cancers diagnosed in 2004-2010 was 68%. *1
- In 2015, there are expected to be 1,658,370 new cancer cases expected to be diagnosed. That is over 4,500 a day. *1
- 61% of the costs associated with cancer are non-medical indirect costs *2
Cancer is expensive to treat even with health insurance plans, as deductibles and frequent co-pays often reach their maximums. There are also many expenses incurred during treatments that are not covered by and health insurance including travel to receive treatment, lodging, meals, income that is lost when a family member becomes the primary caregiver, child care, and other unforeseen expenses.
What can help with cancer costs? A cancer plan. These are affordable plans that are available for any age up to 85. There are two types of cancer plans and both will pay directly to you so you can use the funds however you need.
Lump Sum Benefit pays you an amount upon the first diagnosis of cancer (not including skin). After a one year period of remission benefits begin to restore and after 5 years of remission the same full lump sum amount is available should you be diagnosed with cancer again.
Schedule of Benefit plan pays you an amount upon the first diagnosis of cancer (not including skin) and then a set dollar amount for each type of coverage received with no lifetime limit. A coverage received example would be you receiving $100 per day for the first 90 days in the hospital, $250 for each day in the hospital after day 90, up to $100 per day for radiation therapy, etc. There are many different benefits this type of plan pays for and Senior Savings Services can provide a full list for you.
Either plan type can provide a return of your premium to your estate if the plan is not used.**(Available in certain states.)
Contact Senior Savings Services at 1-800-592-0819 or email SeniorSavings@fastmail.com to learn about which plan can be best for you.
*1 American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures 2015. Atlanta: American Cancer Society; 2015 pp 1-2